IA/0103 - EARTHEN ARCHITECTURE. BUILDING CULTURES AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Academic Year 2019/2020
Free text for the University
MARIA MADDALENA ACHENZA (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[80/72] ARCHITECTURE||[72/30 - Ord. 2017] ARCHITETTURA E SOSTENIBILITA'||4||40|
Aim of the course is to provide students:
- the ability to recognize and use local natural materials (earth, hemp, loofah, straw, cane, ...)
- the ability to use earth as a building material, formulate a correct mix for masonry, mortars and earthen plasters and their installation capabilities, with identification of the most frequent problems and relative solutions.
- Create a small object, from design to construction
1. BUILDING MATERIALS AND APPLICATION OF RELATED TECHNOLOGIES
Raw materials: Earth, Wood, Stone
Binders: lime, clay, plaster ...
Fibres: Straw, hemp, flax, jute, Loofah ...
Introduction: What is it? Where? As?
Earth for building. How to recognize it?
3. NEW USES OF THE EARTH
Plasters and mortars: Morocco, Algeria, Italy
The course makes part of the activities of the scientific school "Shared Languages_Sardegna", which offers an in-depth study of the themes linked to the use of earth as a building material and will be held at Sardegna Ricerche - Parco Tecnologico di Pula from 18-23 November 2019.
The Scientific School, funded by Sardegna Ricerche, is organized in collaboration with the Rhode Island School of Design, USA, the CRATerre ENSAG Research Laboratory, Grenoble (France), the CAP Terre Association, Timimoun (Algeria), the International Association of Earthen Cities, Samassi, the National Association of Networking Building Companies - ANIER, Cagliari, the University of Sassari_ Department of Architecture, Design and Urban Planning of Alghero, the National Association of Green House CO2. 0, EDIZERO, the Superintendence of Archeology, Fine Arts and Landscape for the metropolitan city of Cagliari and the province of Oristano and south Sardinia.
The scientific school "Shared Languages_Sardegna" has a duration of 6 days and proposes the following activities:
1) International conference on the recovery and new construction with earth
The conference will take place on Monday 18 November (morning and afternoon). It will host foreign high profile international speakers as well as some academic specialists and local industry professionals, project partners.
5 theoretical and practical workshops on the topics:
- Recognize earth as a building material (earth as a grain material, recognition, earth and fiber, Carazas test);
- Earth plasters and finishes (earth choice, preparation of the mixture, tools, fibers, types of plaster, special finishes).
- Surface finishes with tadelakt, traditional Moroccan plaster;
- Mixtures of earth and vegetable fibers;
- Traditional Algerian finishing plasters;
Each module has a daily duration of 8 hours in total (9am - 5pm) and will be preceded by a brief presentation of the topic and the activities that will take place during the day.
3) Guided tour of the earthen built villages (optional), coordinated by the International Association of Earthen Cities.
Verification of learning
The verification of the acquired knowledge will be direct.
For the attribution of the final grade the assiduity of attendance of the lessons will be taken into account.
Houben, H. Guillaud, Traitè de construction en terre, ed. Parethese
Anger R., Fontaine L., Batir en Terre, ed Belin
Sanna A., Atzeni C., Manuale del recupero dei centri storici della Sardegna, Architetture in terra cruda, ed DEI
Sanna U., Achenza M., Manuale del recupero dei centri storici della Sardegna, Manuale tematico dellarchitetture in terra, ed DEI
The slides of the lessons are given directly to the students