IA/0098 - RECOVERY OF MODERN ARCHITECTURE
Academic Year 2021/2022
Free text for the University
PAOLO SANJUST (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[80/72] ARCHITECTURE||[72/20 - Ord. 2017] ARCHITETTURA STORICA E PROGETTO||4||40|
The couse named "Recovery of Modern architecture" aims to contribute and promote the knowledge, protection and enhancement of the Modern historical heritage, in the regional, national and international context, through surveys on its creation and diffusion and about its cultural and thecnical features.
Reflecting about modernity constitutes a moment of acknowledgment of the capacities (cultural ancd technical) that a society is able to spend to guide, promote and manage its transformations. But reflection on modernity inevitably means relfection about "modern architectural project", looking to new and appropriate design methods.
We have to approach to modern architecture recovery with a new and laical approach. This theme has to be founded "from the ground up", starting from the study of thecniques, materials and building knowledges of the modern tradition, trough the comparison of national and international experiences, in order to define general themes and problems that, without preconstituted aims or ideological concepts, can lead to specific solutions. We have to look for a modication of ideas and concepts consolidated in the actual debate about conservation and, then, adapting them to the different social, cultural and economical conditions in the different modernity areas, comparing places and histories.
Today the ever more central questions are "modification" and re-design of the pre-existent buildings, in search of a new idea of design, based and shaped on the concept of the existing heritage recovery.
In this context it is necessary to reposition ourselfs with respect to the concepts and practices of the recovery of the modern building heritage; with due attention to what this concepts represent (in terms of social capital), according to wath they have been (as a trace of history) and to what they will be (as a legacy to be trasmitted and to ever put in discussion).
The student has to know both theory and practice of monument restoration and history of modern and contemporary architecture in order to focus rightly the architectural and cultural nature of the case studies and, contemporary, be able to insert the peculiar intervnetion problems in the more general tematich of heritage restoration.
The course examines the following topics:
the building heritage built between19th and 20th century;
the new towns and the Italian urban expansions of the 20s - 40s
the building of Reconstruction, with particular reference to Public Residential
international case studies
Theoretical and normative assumptions on conservation and protection
The course will be mainly developed through online lessons accessible online on Adobe Connect and will be recorded.
MODULES OF LESSONS
THEORIES AND STORIES of architecture, techniques, engineering, restoration
INSIGHTS on the regional scope
DOCUMENTATION, MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES
DIAGNOSIS AND INTERVENTION (obsolescence, degradation, technologies for conservation)
MONOGRAPHS on recovery cases (buildings, neighborhoods, cities)
VISITS AND SURVEYS
- CAGLIARI: itineraries of the Modern
- CARBONIA: twentieth century city
- ARBOREA: the great land reclamation project
Verification of learning
The final exam consists of a discussion on the work done during the year on the subject of the monographic report, in the verification and critical knowledge of the topics covered in the course, and the texts indicated in the bibliography.
- Carughi U., Maledetti vincoli. La tutela dell'architettura contemporanea, Torino, Allemandi, 2013.
- Casu A., Lino A., Sanna A. (a cura di), La città ricostruita. Le vicende urbanistiche in Sardegna nel secondo dopoguerra, Cagliari, Cuec, 2001.
- De Solà -Morales I., Ramos F., Cirici C., La ricostruzione del Padiglione di Mies a Barcellona, Casabella, n.526, luglio-agosto 1986.
- Iori T., Il cemento armato in Italia. Dalle origini alla Seconda Guerra Mondiale, Edilstampa, Roma, 2001.
Lino A. (a cura di), Le città di fondazione in Sardegna, Cagliari 1998.
- Peghin G., Sanna A., Carbonia. Città del Novecento. Milano Skira, 2009.
- Poretti S., a cura di, Il restauro delle Poste di Libera, Gangemi editore, Roma 2005.
- Poretti S., Modernismi italiani, Gangemi, 2009.
- Poretti S., Iori T., (a cura di), SIXXI 1, Storia dell'ingegneria strutturale in Italia, Gangemi, 2014.
- Poretti S., Iori T., (a cura di), SIXXI 2, Storia dell'ingegneria strutturale in Italia, Gangemi, 2015
- Poretti S., Iori T., (a cura di), SIXXI 3, Storia dell'ingegneria strutturale in Italia, Gangemi, 2015.
- Sanjust P., Modernismi. Storie di architetture e costruzioni in Sardegna nel ‘900, Aracne, 2017
- Sanna A., Prime applicazioni del calcestruzzo armato in Sardegna: le opere cagliaritane dell´ing. G.A. Porcheddu, Cagliari, CUEC, 2003.
- Zordan M., L'architettura dell'acciaio in Italia, Roma, Gangemi, 2006.
The necessary bibliographic references will be provided during the lessons for an immediate deepening and enrichment of the topics.