AR/0009 - ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNICAL PHYSICS
Academic Year 2017/2018
Free text for the University
ANDREA FRATTOLILLO (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[80/71] ARCHITECTURAL SCIENCE||[71/00 - Ord. 2013] PERCORSO COMUNE||8||100|
- Knowledge and understanding: The course aims to provide students with the knowledge of the basic phenomena of thermo-physical building, and the laws governing the heat transfer mechanisms steady through the envelope. This objective will also be achieved through the use of advanced textbooks, as well as consultation of advanced research in the topic object of study.
- Applying knowledge and understanding: The course will lead students to apply the acquired knowledge in the use of materials with high energy and acoustic performance in the building envelope design, as well as to the acquisition of basic skills for their future technical system design activities.
- Making judgments: Students will acquire the capacity to interpret the data related to main energy consumption parameters of a building, as well as those relating to noise and lighting facilities of confined environments: They will be able to formulate and solve problems proposed by demonstrating an adequate autonomy with respect to the specific competencies of their future professional context.
- Communication skills: The student will acquire the ability to communicate and express problems concerning the object of the course. It will be able to hold conversations on topics related to the typical areas of Applied Thermodynamic, and in particular to highlight the relationship between the basic principles and practical aspects.
- Learning skills: Students will acquire a full understanding of the basics of thermodynamics, heat transfer, acoustics and lighting, acquiring the ability to face and solve numerical problems on some specific topics, as well as to apply the basic cognitive tools for continuous updating of their knowledge.
Basic knowledge of differential calculus and integral functions.
- Applied Thermodynamics
Thermodynamic systems, thermo-physical properties of substances and construction materials. Energy and mass balances. First law of thermodynamics. The second law of thermodynamics. Carnot's theorem. Moist air and its thermodynamic processes. The psychrometric charts.
The topics will be covered in about 30 hours of theory and 20 hours of exercises.
- Heat and Mass Transport
The thermal conduction. Fourier's law and thermal quantities: conductivity, resistance and conductance. The heat transfer in monolayer and multilayer flat walls. The natural and forced convection. Qualitative analysis of the heat exchange by convection. Radiation. Energy propagation through waves and characteristic parameters. The black body and gray bodies. Energy exchange by radiation on flat walls. Solar radiation and greenhouse effect. The vapor transmission. Vapor permeability of the walls and the Glaser diagram.
The topics will be covered in about 20 hours of theory and 2 hours of exercise.
- Fundamentals of acoustics and lighting
Fundamental acoustical parameters. The propagation of sound waves in open field. Acoustic properties of materials: sound insulation and sound absorption. The reverberation time in confined spaces. Basic lighting parameters. Natural lighting. The lamps and the artificial lighting. Control of light in confined spaces.
The topics will be covered in about 10 hours of theory and 5 hours of exercise.
Frontal lessons throughout the program. Tutorials on some specific issues.
All theoretical lessons and exercises are carried out on the blackboard. Lessons related legislative and standard aspects about energy and acoustic requirements of a building are carried out with slideshows.
To carry out some exercises, didactic supports (tables with properties of some substances; psychrometric chart, conductive, radiative and acoustic properties of material) are distributed in classroom. The same supports are otherwise made available online to all students in a special cloud.
The entire course, is cared personally by the teacher. All supplementary teaching materials needed for the exam is made available online to all students in a special cloud.
Verification of learning
Written and oral test: the student need to get at least 18 in both tests.
The written test consists of two exercises, with a maximum of three questions for exercise (the answers are numeric and must be expressed in the unit of measure proposed).
The student may be exonerated from the written test carrying two intermediate tests during the course, each relating to the two macro subjects: a) Applied thermodynamics and/or Fundamental acoustical and lightning parameters; b) Heat transfer. The exemption from the written test is obtained with final mark of at least 18 (calculated as the sum of the marks obtained in the two individual tests, each with a maximum rating equal to 15/15).
The vote on the written test will be included in appropriate intervals of judgment: A) vote between 18 and 22 if the student has acquired the basic knowledge of applied thermodynamics and heat transmission; B) vote between 23 and 27 if the student demonstrates its ability to interpret the data provided, being able to formulate and set the resolution of the proposed problems; C) vote more than 27 if the student demonstrates its ability to interpret the data provided by solving problems proposed in a clear and correct .
The oral test consists of 3-4 questions. The vote of the oral test will be included between: 18 and 22 for elementary and ineffective exposure understanding; 23 and 27 for a good understanding and a clear exposition; over 27 for a full and brilliant exposition and effective understanding.
The final mark is calculated as the average of partial results (written / exemption and oral) obtained.
Y. Cengel, - Termodinamica e trasmissione del calore - Mc Graw Hill, Milano.
R. Mastrullo, P. Mazzei, R. Vanoli - Termodinamica per ingegneri - Liguori Editore, Napoli
P. Ricciardi - Elementi di acustica e illuminotecnica - - Mc Graw Hill, Milano.
Lazzarin R., Strada M. - Elementi di acustica tecnica - Cleup, Padova.
It also providesthe slideshows about the regulatory and legislative requirements for building envelopes. All tables and diagrams to support exercises are provided during the course and shared in a special cloud.
The teacher can give answer for module matters in English