IN/0243/EN - GEOCHEMICAL CHARACTERIZATION
Academic Year 2021/2022
Free text for the University
PAOLO VALERA (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[70/86] ENVIRONMENTAL AND LAND ENGINEERING||[86/00 - Ord. 2016] PERCORSO COMUNE||6||60|
Knowledge on the dynamics of geochemical factors, on their mobility and natural distribution. Ability to read and interpret the interaction between the different natural factors that govern the elemental dispersion in order to locate the source of release, whether it be of natural or anthropogenic origin.
Identification of the most effective sampling methods and analysis to be applied depending on the area of investigation. Interpretation ability of the environmental factors present in the investigated areas and possibly involved in the concentration / diffusion of elements.
Ability to interpret data, in laboratory and on the land, depending on the spatial position and according to the environmental characteristics of the survey area, with tipical methods of geochemical characterization in order to discern between both natural or anthropogenic contributions
Acquisition of the technical terminology; processing capacity of technical documents also to publication of results in scientific journals and in the disclosure magazines. Ability to synthesize
Being able to learn and develop new research techniques, including through the consultation of scientific articles. Adapt quickly to problems linked to the geographical area in which it operates.
Deep knowledge of the most common lithologies and their mineral-petrographic characteristics. Knowledge of ore deposits and geological contexts associated with them.
Introduction (8 hours)
· Overview of main lithologies.
· General Principles of Geochemistry - Definitions.
· Absolute and Relative Abundance of the elements in the cosmos and on the earth's crust.
Part 1 (10 hours)
· Geochemical classification of elements.
· Geochemical Environment: deep and shallow, the geochemical cycle, mobility in deep and shallow environment, control parameters.
· Availability of the elements.
· Sources of natural and man-made.
· Association of the elements.
· Primary and secondary geochemical dispersions.
Part 2 (15 hours)
· Background, anomalies, anomaly threshold.
· Trace elements analysis: principles and methods. Choice of methods of analysis, units of measurement, detection limit (d.l.), precision, accuracy and control.
· Levels of research: recognitional, strategic, tactical and detail.
· Methods of sampling and analysis: types of sampling, collection, finalization, analysis. Criticality. Tools.
Part 3 (15 hours)
· Epigenetic abnormalities: halos of diffusion and loss. Zoning anomalies.
· Surface alteration: physical, chemical, biological. Factors affecting surface alteration. Products of surface alteration.
· Notes on soil formation.
· Regulatory and legislative aspects. Examples and case studies.
· Risk Analysis.
Part 4 (12 hours)
training and tutorials
48 hours of lectures, 12 hours of training in the classroom and field trip,
The teaching will be delivered mainly face to face, integrated and "augmented" with online strategies, in order to guarantee its use in an innovative and inclusive way.
About field trip work, on the basis of the contextual conditions linked to the Covid-19 pandemic, shifts and / or online replacement activities will be may scheduled
Verification of learning
The vote, in thirtieths, shall be determined at the end of the oral exam. During the examination are required arguments where the level of detail, by the candidate, together with him capacity for analysis and synthesis, are the evaluation criterion.
Teacher's notes and the books:
1. DE VIVO B., LIMA A. e SIEGEL F. R., 2004. Geochimica Ambientale. Metalli potenzialmente tossici. Liguori Editore, ISBN 88-207-3549-0, Napoli. 464 pp.
2. DE VIVO B. e LIMA A., 2009. Caratterizzazione geochimica dei siti, rifiuti e analisi di rischio. Aracne Editrice Roma. ISBN 978-88-548-2746-2, 338 p.
3. PIERO ZUFFARDI – GIACIMENTOLOGIA E PROSPEZIONE MINERARIA, Pitagora Editrice, Bologna
4. PIERRE GY, 1971 – L’echantillonnage des minerais en vrac. Mémoires du B.R.G.M., n. 67, Tome 2.
5. William M. White, 2015. Geochemistry. Wiley-Blackwell publisher. ISBN : 978-1-118-64682-3
6. Manuale Critico di Sanità Pubblica, 2015. A cura di Francesco Calamo-Specchia. Maggioli Editore, pp. 900. ISBN/EAN: 8891613080/9788891613080
The course is carried out, for the part in the classroom, with slides and the aid of the most common software for exercises. During the field trip exercises, the teacher makes his personal equipment available to illustrate the geo-petrographic characteristics of the areas examined. Furthermore, teacher's lecture notes of the course were made available to students.