70/0056-M - FUNDAMENTALS OF TRANSPORT
Academic Year 2022/2023
Free text for the University
PATRIZIA SERRA (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[70/72] CIVIL ENGINEERING||[72/00 - Ord. 2021] PERCORSO COMUNE||6||60|
- Provide students with the knowledge of the laws governing the motion of the different transport means (land, air, and sea), the basic elements on the design of transport infrastructures, the principles of road runoff analysis and of transport planning in order to better design transport infrastructures (roads, railways, ports, airports, intersections, etc.)
- Succeed in putting into practice in real-life applications the knowledge, methods and models as well as the comprehension skills acquired during the course
- Develop students’ analytical skills
- Improve communication skills during lessons and practical classes
- Develop specific learning skills that allow students to continue deepening their study independently
Students will be assessed on the basis of their knowledge of the topics covered during the course and on their critical thinking skills. The use of adequate technical language is required in the presentation of the topics.
Fundamentals of mathematical analysis and general physics.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Transportation technique:
Classification of transportation systems;
Elements of the mechanics of locomotion (road transport, rail transport, maritime transport, air transport);
Main elements of a transport network (road transport, rail transport, maritime transport, air transport);
Transport safety: active safety and passive safety.
- Transport planning:
The planning process
The demand model
The supply model
The demand-offer interaction model
- Road flow theory and technique:
The conditions of the vehicular flow;
The parameters of the vehicular flow and their relations;
Definitions (rush hour factor, vehicular range, etc.);
The project data necessary for the dimensioning of a road section;
The levels of service.
The course will be developed through classroom lectures with the interactive participation of the students, for a total of 60 hours. The lectures provide a theoretical explanation of the topics addressed as well as numerous practical examples and exercises for those topics that require specific applications. Students are strongly encouraged to contribute to the development of the reasoning that surrounds the preparation of case studies that emerge from the projects presented.
Verification of learning
The verification of the acquired knowledge will be carried out through a single oral exam that will focus on the topics covered in the course (Approach to the project; Transport Technique; Elements of Transport planning; Theory and technique of road flow), the mark will be expressed out of thirty.
For students enrolled in the course only, it is also possible to take the exam through two partial tests (one carried out in the middle of the course, one as soon as the course is finished). The partial tests are valid for the exam if passed positively (the final grade will be given by the average of the marks obtained in the two partial tests).
- Slides distributed during the course
- Fadda P., Fancello G., Meloni I., Olivari M., "Fondamenti di trasporti", Aracne Editore, 2010.
The classroom lectures are conducted with the support of a PC connected to a projector to show slides that illustrate the concepts explained by the lecturer. The slides concern the topics addressed in the textbook used and specific topics for integrating information: for example, they provide clarifying examples, additional exercises, real case studies, films, etc. All the material screened will be made available to students in the manner communicated during the course.