32/19/032 - SPANISH LANGUAGE TRANSLATION 1
Academic Year 2020/2021
Free text for the University
DANIELA ZIZI (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[32/19] LANGUAGES AND CULTURES FOR LINGUISTIC MEDIATION||[19/00 - Ord. 2011] PERCORSO COMUNE||9||54|
Knowledge and understanding:
-acquiring the notions necessary to identify the distinguishing features of technical, economic, narrative, journalistic texts etc., in order to be able to describe procedures and methods for their translation;
- knowledge of the main translation strategies for different text types;
-acquiring the theory and technique of translation from Spanish.
Applying knowledge and understanding:
- acquiring the ability to translate texts suitable to the required language level;
- capacity to use the standard translation techniques and tools;
- ability to identify and solve translation problems.
capacity to apply skills both to find solutions and to justify, support and argue the choices in translation.
-capacity to communicate and effectively discuss translation issues and solutions;
- capacity to locate and collect additional information to gain greater awareness.
- Learning skills required for a continuous upgrade;
- ability to draw on a variety of bibliographic sources, both in Italian and in foreign languages, in order to acquire new skills.
- Spanish B1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages;
- Italian C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages for foreign students.
- Having passed the Spanish Language 1 exam.
This course offers an introduction to translation practice for different types of texts (narrative, popular, juridical, tourist, technical, economic, audiovisual, etc.) from Spanish to Italian. During lessons, some considerations on linguistic and syntactic issues, the analysis of different text types, as well as the identification process of possible translation strategies will be discussed. The theoretical lessons will be supported by a compulsory translation workshop.
Lectures and translation workshop.
We inform all students that the University Moodle platform will be used in addition to the lectures. In order to access this platform, students will need to use their Esse3 access credentials (http://elearning.unica.it/piattamoodle). Further information on the Moodle system will be given at the beginning of the course.
Verification of learning
Assessing and evaluating methods and criteria for final marking:
Ongoing assessments and final written exam.
- The written exam comprises a translation and a translation commentary of a text belonging to one of the text types analyzed during the course.
- Students will be allowed to take the exam after having handed in their translations and commentaries of the texts analyzed during the course.
The final mark will be awarded based on the students’ ability to produce translations suitable to the required language level, on the acquired translation knowledge, on the use of the correct syntax in both the Italian translation and the Spanish commentary.
The test score, is awarded by a mark expressed out of 30. In order to pass the exam, it is necessary to achieve at least the sufficiency (18/30). In order to achieve the maximum score of 30/30 cum laude the student will have to prove an excellent knowledge of all the topics of the program.
- Hatim Basil, Mason Ian (1995) Teoría de la traducción. Ariel, Barcellona.
- Hurtado Albir, A. (2001) Traducción y traductología. Cátedra, Madrid.
- Lefèvre M. (2015) La Traduzione dallo spagnolo. Teoria e pratica. Carocci Ed., Roma.
Additional teaching materials will be handed out during the course.
- AA.VV. (2004), Herder, Italiano-spagnolo, Spagnolo-italiano, Ed. Herder, Barcelona.
- Tam L., (1997) Dizionario spagnolo-italiano, italiano-español. Milano: Hoepli (online)
- AA. VV. (2008) Grande dizionario tecnico spagnolo-italiano/italiano-spagnolo, Hoepli, Milano,
- RAE: Banco de datos (CREA). Corpus de referencia del español actual (online)
- RAE: Diccionario Panhispánico de dudas (online)
- RAE: Diccionario de la Real Academia Española (online)
- Moliner M., Diccionario de uso del español, Gredos, Madrid.
The course will be held in the first semester.
Students who are unable to attend the course or the workshop should contact the professor to arrange a personalized exam schedule.
Prof. Daniela Zizi