LS/0069 - GENERAL LINGUISTICS
Academic Year 2016/2017
Free text for the University
ANTONIETTA MARRA (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[32/19] LANGUAGES AND CULTURES FOR LINGUISTIC MEDIATION||[19/00 - Ord. 2011] PERCORSO COMUNE||12||60|
Knowledge and understanding:
- Theory of linguistic analysis
- Levels of linguistic analysis
Applying knowledge and understanding:
- Analyzing and comparing languages at different levels
Knowledge of Italian grammar
Knowledge of Italian grammar
Aims of linguistics
Nature of the linguistic sign
Levels of analysis
Language variation and change
Exercises of phonetic transcription and linguistic analysis (morphology, syntax).
Verification of learning
- Examination methods:
In order to test the learning process, the examination will be about the contents of lectures, practise sessions and textbook indicated in the reference bibliography.
There will be an interim test (not mandatory and addressed to the attending students, relating to the first part of the program), and a final test (organized in two sections, for the first and the second parts of the program). Those who pass the interim test with a rating from 18 to 30 will be allowed to limit the final exam just at the second part of the programme. Those who will not pass the interim test will be examined for the whole programme of the course.
Verification and evaluation test aims at verifying acquired knowledge and skills through different types of questions: multiple-choice, short-answer and essay questions.
Criteria for final mark
The final mark depends on the level of individual learning outcomes for both sections of the program. In particular:
- for multiple-choice questions, the correct choice of options will be evaluated;
- for short-answer and essay questions the evaluation will take into account correctness, precision, completeness and depth of the required content as well as the correct use of the technical language. In order to pass the exam (that means to reach a mark lower than 18/30), student must demonstrate that he has gained sufficient knowledge of the arguments relating to the basics of the discipline and the various levels of sociolinguistic analysis and to be able to apply theoretical notions to concrete cases. To achieve a score of 30/30 with honours, student must demonstrate that he has gained an excellent knowledge of all the topics of lectures and reference bibliography and that he is able to apply the theoretical notions to concrete cases, using accurately the special language of the discipline.
- Berruto Gaetano, Cerruti Massimo, 2011, La linguistica. Un corso introduttivo, Torino, UTET.
- Maturi Pietro, 2009 (seconda edizione), I suoni delle lingue, i suoni dell'italiano, Bologna, Il Mulino.
- Graffi Giorgio, Scalise Sergio, 2013, Le lingue e il linguaggio. Introduzione alla linguistica, Bologna, IlMulino: cap.5- La struttura delle parole: morfologia, pp. 113-152 e cap. 7-La combinazione delle parole: sintassi, pp.169-207.
Lessons will be in the first semester.
Lectures presentations will be on the teacher's web-site.