32/19/098 - THEORY AND HISTORY OF TRANSLATION 2
Academic Year 2020/2021
Free text for the University
FRANCESCA LA RUSSA (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[32/19] LANGUAGES AND CULTURES FOR LINGUISTIC MEDIATION||[19/00 - Ord. 2011] PERCORSO COMUNE||6||30|
The course aims at providing historical and theoretical awareness of the translator's profession. In particular, it aims at deepening:
- the understanding of the main terminology and issues of the translation theory;
- the knowledge of the factors involved, of the translation strategies and techniques and of the main difficulties according to the type of text;
- the knowledge of the professional role of the translator
- General Linguistics
- Theory and History of Translation I
- Main theoretical and terminological aspects of translation theory with a special focus on contemporary translation theories.
- Factors involved, translation strategies and techniques according to the type of text (e.g. comics, audiovisual text).
- The profession of the translator
- Frontal theory lessons
- Study of authentic cases on texts translated or to be translated.
Verification of learning
- Final written exam: open/closed-ended questions
- Munday, J. (2012). Manuale di studi sulla traduzione. Bologna: Bonomia University Press.
- Diadori,P. (2012). Teoria e tecnica della traduzione. Strategie, testi e contesti, Milano, Le Monnier Università. (some chapters from part 2 and part 3)
Additional readings choice:
- Baker, M. (2018). In other words: A coursebook on translation. Routledge.
- Eco, U. (2003). Dire quasi la stessa cosa. Milano: Bompiani.
- Munday, J. (2009). The Routledge companion to translation studies. Routledge.
- Snell-Hornby, M. (2006). The Turns of Translation Studies: New paradigms or shifting viewpoints? (Vol. 66). John Benjamins Publishing.
Further readings might be added. The complete bibliography will be available at the end of the course.
The course will be held online on Microsoft teams from May 3rd to June 4th.
Friday: 16:15- 18:45
For any further clarification please schedule an online meeting on wednesdays 12:00-13:00
Link Teams: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3a3efa78b4ca34481a837be1813f6eed25%40thread.tacv2/1619711892504?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%226bfa74cc-fe34-4d57-97d3-97fd6e0edee1%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2257598b1f-8542-404d-9731-4feba04e353c%22%7d