SF/0161 - PSICOLOGIA COGNITIVA APPICATA
Academic Year 2020/2021
Free text for the University
STELLA CONTE (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[30/48] CLINICAL AND COMMUNITY PSYCHOLOGY||[48/00 - Ord. 2020] PERCORSO COMUNE||8||60|
The student will acquire:
- Knowledge and understanding skills strengthening to ones from the first cycle and allow them to work out and apply original ideas in a research context as well as in planning their own research. He/she will also acquire basic knowledge on Behavioral Analysis;
- Ability to apply knowledge and understanding to new subjects introduced in broader contexts related to their field of study, in the cognitive area;
- Making judgments, integrating knowledge and managing complexity, formulating judgments also on the basis of limited and incomplete information, including reflection on social and ethical responsibilities linked to the application of knowledge and judgments;
- Communication skills, as it will be able to communicate the conclusions and knowledge, as well as the rationale underlying them to specialist and non-specialist interlocutors;
- Learning skills that allow students to continue to study mostly in a self-managed and autonomous way.
HELPFUL: Students must have a good knowledge of General Psychology and Physiological Psychology.
A) The course aims to present the main aspects of Applied Cognitive Psychology. Theories for the various cognitive processes supported by experimental studies in Psychology will be presented, Neuropsychology and Artificial Intelligence. They will also interpreted in neuropsychological and clinical context, according to the adaptive model of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy and Positive Psychology. Each process will be addressed according to various approaches. The processes considered will be: Attention, Memory, Problem Solving, Reasoning, Emotions. Each process will be studied both as a process in full functionality and in pathological situations (brain injured subjects and problematic conditions).
B) The main topics of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Behavioral Analysis (BA) will be discussed, such as: learning, shaping, schemate, automatic processes, " duties", cognitive restructuring, and the relationships between emotional processes and cognitive processes.
C) Furthemore, the P-A-C (Parent-Adult-Child) model Transactional Analysis (TA) will be presented and compared to the CBT and how the parts of “self” interact into the transactions.
D) Finally, the course includes the presentation of Positive Psychology and its usefulness in various psychotherapeutic contexts.
- Face to face classroom lesson,
- Interactive lessons
- Practical tests,
Verification of learning
The exam will consist of an interview based on five questions. Three of them will be about cognitive processes, one question about CBT, one on TA and one on BA and Positive Psychology. Each question will be evaluated from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 5.
In the evaluation of the exam the determination of the final vote will take into account the following elements:
1) The adequacy of the answers in relation to the competences that the student assumes has acquired at the end of the course;
2) A detailed analysis of the proposed topic in relation to other theories on the some subject and different methodologies
3) The use of an appropriate language.
To pass the exam, a vote of not less than 18/30 must be given, the student must demonstrate that he/she has acquired a sufficient knowledge of the topics of the exam. To achieve a score of 30/30 cum laude, the student must instead demonstrate to have acquired an excellent knowledge of all the topics covered during the course.
Non-attending students can arrange a personalized learning path with the teacher based on basic knowledge.
However, attendance is recommended to take advantage of practical seminars on the topics covered.
Example of a Question for the Cognitive Psychology Handbook: " Trace Theory and non-Connessionistic Language Theories: relations, limits, and benefits".
Example of application for the Cognitive-Behavioral Handbook: "Which cognitive aspects are involved in cognitive restructuring?"
Example application from CBT Handbook: “Which cognitive aspects are involved in cognitive restructuring?”
Example of a question from P-A-C model: “Automated processes and P-A-C information”.
Example of a question from Positive Psychology: "How a stressful condition can be used by the individual for a development of his own resilience".
Eysenck, M. W., & Keane, M. T. Cognitive psychology: A student's handbook (6th ed.). New York, NY, US: Psychology Press, 2010.
Conte, S., Meazzini, P. Da Darwin alle nuove tecnologie. Carocci. Roma, 2019.
Conte, S., Murgia S. Teniamoci per mano: un viaggio all’interno del rapporto all’interno della coppia. QuiEdit. Padova, 2020.
Ellis. A. Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy: A Therapist's Guide, 2nd Edition (The Practical Therapist) Hardcover, 2005
The reception is on Thursday from 13 to 15 by Teams.