20/40/053 - GLOTTOLOGY AND LINGUISTICS
Academic Year 2022/2023
Free text for the University
IMMACOLATA PINTO (Tit.)
- Teaching style
- Lingua Insegnamento
|[20/40] HUMANITIES||[40/10 - Ord. 2008] CLASSICAL LITERATURE||12||60|
|[20/40] HUMANITIES||[40/20 - Ord. 2008] MODERN LITERATURE||12||60|
|[20/40] HUMANITIES||[40/40 - Ord. 2008] HISTORY||12||60|
Conoscenze e capacità attese: depending on students’ prior knowledge and teacher capacity, the course aims to provide students with an acceptable / average / excellent :
- knowledge of the fundamentals of general linguistics;
- ability to describe a language diachronically e sinchronically at a first level of difficulty;
- ability to consider linguistic categories in comparison with traditional grammar.
Competenze: depending on students’ prior knowledge and teacher capacity, the course aims to provide students with acceptable / average / excellent skills in applying the acquired theoretical knowledge: e.g. phonetic, morphological, syntactic and semantic analysis at a first level of difficulty;
Comportamenti: the course aims to stimulate interest in scientific curiosity applied to the study of languages and language.
Knowledge of the basic grammar of one’s mother tongue and / or second languages (ancient and / or modern).
Basic Linguistics: an introduction to the discipline; general notions of languages and spoken language; phonetic and phonological elements; morphological elements; syntactic elements; semantic elements; general notions of historical linguistics concerning following fields: genetic languages features, language changes, linguistic geography.
- monitoring of notes taken in class
- homework correction (e.g..: phonetic transcriptions).
- Interdisciplinary exercises on basic notions useful to the understanding of the spread of language in a geographical space (e.g..: reproduction of maps with labels indicating the languages spoken in a given area).
Verification of learning
le modalità di esame:
Written part: 12 questions on course content (a mock exam will be held during
the course; at the end of the course, students will be given a list of possible
questions to help them prepare for the exam);
- criteri di attribuzione del voto finale
• ability to use the International Phonetic Alphabet (phonetic transcription);
• ability to perform linguistic analysis at a first level of difficulty ( e.g. segmentation of a word into morphemes);
• ability to provide a precise definition with examples;
• descriptive and argumentative skills;
• syntactically correct writing and use of appropriate terminology;
• indication of minimal but fundamental bibliographic sources (e.g.: “the langue-parole dichotomy dates back to F. de Saussure 1916).
Testi adottati e materiali di riferimento
Graffi, Giorgio; Scalise, Sergio (2013), Le lingue e il linguaggio, Bologna, il Mulino (capp.: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 e 8);
Fanciullo, Franco (2013), Introduzione alla linguistica storica, Bologna, Il Mulino (capp.: 1, 2, 4, 5).
Gli appunti delle lezioni
Altre eventuali comunicazioni:
Useful tips for exam success: regular attendance at lectures and practicals; take clear and extensive notes during lectures and, if necessary, copy them up on a regular basis; do the assigned homework; take part in class correction; attend individual tutorials with the teacher. Take the mock exam. Do the exercises given by the teacher at the end of the course for exam preparation (see list of questions on course content).
Any non- attending students should contact the teacher at least two months before sitting for the exam. This will allow them to receive as much information as possible about the exam and, therefore, increase their chances of passing with a good mark.